Sunday, June 17, 2012

HUMANe Behavior



A puppy died in Vaughan Ontario a few days ago.  The @#%$^&*&^*%$#@^&^$ owners left it in a closed car on a hot day.  The amount of rage and frustration and helplessness and sorrow I feel cannot even come close to being expressed here.  I thought I’d gotten it all out.  I’ve cried about it.  I’ve journaled about it.  I’ve created art to try and get it out. And still, as I sit here and type this, I find myself crying again.

This happened in a local mall parking lot.  A MALL!!!  What kind of idiotic moron leaves a dog in a closed up car when they go shopping?!  It’s unacceptable when you run into a convenience store.  It’s atrocious in this situation.  The dog was in obvious distress while emergency workers worked to get it out, but it lapsed into unconsciousness and died before they did.

If you did this to a child, you’d be charged with murder.  If you do it to a dog, or presumably any animal, you get charged with Animal Cruelty, which in most places is little more than a slap on the wrist.  A slap on the wrist for torturing an animal to death.  For essentially cooking it alive.   (To make this particular incident even worse, the worthless owners were returning to Sudbury after attending Woofstock in Toronto.  They were arrested when they finally returned to their car--here’s hoping they get the maximum penalty possible.)

People!  Don’t leave your pets in a closed car on even a warm day!  Temperatures rise to deadly levels in minutes.  And a cracked window DOES NOT HELP!  If you don’t believe it, try it yourself—sit in a closed car in the sun for just a few minutes.  But be careful.  Getting too hot can cause permanent brain damage, in you OR your dog.

THIS is why I avoid the news.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm sorry if my linking to the article is what caused you to see it, though I suppose it was a pretty major news story to avoid.

I did want to comment here that there's another such story in the news, but this time the dog was rescued and is safe, ie away from its (hopefully former) owner.

I continue to link to this kind of story because I have a lot of pet owners on my list and I dearly hope that posting about this would prevent anyone who reads from doing this to their pet. I also post about it because it makes me so angry, and I need to vent about it.

CousinLinda said...

Don't worry, Jenn. Thanks to all the email nonsense, I never saw that post, lol! I found the story on my own, in a rare look into a local newspaper.