Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Fighting Hatred

At the Texas State Capitol

My husband Don and I spent Memorial Day morning at the SB4 Protest Rally yesterday.  Why?  It's part of the hate-filled racist bs that is becoming more and more overt ever since El Cheeto took over.

SB4 is why I've started carrying my passport with me whenever I leave the house.  Don thought that wasn't necessary until yesterday, when one of the racist SOB Republicans called ICE so the protestors could all be detained.  Nothing happened (except that State Representatives almost came to blows over it), but it could have. And the last thing I, an American citizen, want is to be deported to Mexico or South America because some racist cop decides since I'm Hispanic I must be here illegally.  (Of course, carrying the passport only helps if they bother to look at it, but still.)

But Texas SB4 isn't just a free license to racially profile and harass people.  It's also a HUGE burden on already overworked, underpaid, and short handed police officers and police departments.  Instead of doing their jobs, Republicans want them to do ICE's job.  Or perhaps they simply want them to do it in addition to their own jobs.  I'm not sure, but either way it's a BAD idea.

In the end, it makes ALL of us less safe.