Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Evil Ex

I've been avoiding writing in this blog because I didn't want to talk about this, but since I can't seem to talk about anything else until I get it off my chest, I guess I'll go ahead and rant.

[rant mode engaged]

Last Friday, I take a quick glance at our bank account (online) to make sure my husband's paycheck was deposited on schedule.  Lo' and behold, it was, but only half the amount showed up.  After investigation, it turns out that his ex-wife, in Florida, has somehow managed to convince the Ontario government to dock his pay to the tune of $12,000 (over the next few months) over an issue that was settled years ago. 

Now, we could have explained this, had we been asked, or even notified, before they started docking his pay.  But, no.  No warning, no opportunity to tell our side, nothing.  And, to make things even better, she's a lawyer, so she gets her legal help for free, while we're going to have to pay another lawyer (and maybe two--we might have to have one here in Ontario and another in Florida) to stop this action.

Whatever money she gets before we can stop it, or at least freeze it until we get it straightened out, is, I'm sure, gone.  We'll never see it again no matter how much we sue.  But that's not what really gets to me.  What really gets to me is that she was able to do it without involving us, warning us, telling us--without anything!  The money just started disappearing, and without half a day of research, we wouldn't have ever known why.  This is so UNFAIR it makes me want to scream, but what's worse is that it's really scary.  Can she do it again, just by making something up, as she basically did this time?  Can she do it any time she wants for any amount she wishes?  WHY DON'T WE JUST PUT ALL OF OUR ACCOUNTS IN HER NAME AND JUST LET HER HAVE IT ALL, THEN????

[end of rant mode]

Sorry, everybody, but I just had to get that out.  Hopefully we'll be able to get back to normal now.

No comments: