- Fresh food—strawberries, watermelon, blueberries, blackberries, cantaloupes, raspberries, cherries, avocados, hot peppers, corn, green beans, tomatoes, basil, garlic
- Eating outside—grilling, picnics, outdoor patios at restaurants
- Swimming—pools, lakes, rivers, oceans
- The Beach—sand, sun, waves, water, salt spray, a good book, a shading umbrella
- Minimal clothing—shorts, tank tops, sandals, sundresses, swimsuits
- Creature comforts—air conditioning, ice cream, frozen alcoholic beverages
- Mostly clear nighttime skies—stars, planets, constellations, falling stars, meteor showers, the MOON!
- Also--warm summer evenings, fireflies, skyclad outdoor rituals, two a.m. spur-of-the-moment road trips
Wednesday, September 17, 2014
Since autumn is almost upon us, I thought I’d take a look back and make a list of what summer means to me. It was much more difficult than you might think; summer has long been my least favorite season, most especially here in Texas, where I find myself once again. (Once upon a time I hated sunlight. Then I moved to British Columbia, and learned to appreciate it. But now that hatred is creeping back.) But here’s what I enjoy about this season we’re about to leave. Your mileage may vary.
What are your favorite parts of summer?