Friday, August 27, 2010

December 21, 2012

End of the world?  Chaos & cataclysm?  Death and destruction?  Meaningless superstition? Something in between?

I've had this on my mind lately, as I try to learn how to save seeds from this year for next.  Am I wasting my time, or is this a vital skill I need to learn?

I, personally, am of the opinion that the world AS WE KNOW IT, will end sometime near the titled  date.  I suppose that could mean that we will all die in a nuclear war, or be wiped out in world-wide natural disasters, or that aliens will come down from the sky and enslave us all, but none of that is really what I believe will happen.

I think the "end" will be much more subtle than any of that.  The pessimistic side of me wonders if the last bee will die, with our crops and ourselves slowly following.  The newer, much more hopeful side of me thinks maybe it will simply be a shift in human consciousness--a new, more positive way of looking at things, perhaps.  In my wildest dreams, I imagine that the number of Pagans will outgrow the numbers of more established religions, which would certainly bring a new worldview to humanity.

I suppose only time will tell.  If nothing happens by the Winter Solstice in 2012, I'll begin to believe the Mayans were wrong.  If nothing happens by 2020, I'll know they were.

In the meantime, I'll follow the old saw and hope for the best while I prepare for the worst.

2 comments:

Terri W said...

I've been a "prepper" for years now, and I'd like to think I'm ready for just about anything.

One thing that worries me is that most people who prepare for disasters are usually very staunch Christians. It makes me wonder what things would be like after a big disaster, and most of the survivors are Evangelicals. Yikes.

We need more Pagan preppers! :)

CousinLinda said...

Yikes is right! I hadn't even thought about that aspect of it! Very scary.