Thursday, August 19, 2010

Update: Evil Ex

I know I promised a list of good things about hot weather, but I interrupt my previously planned post for an update on my life:


It’s over. It turned out to be $17,000 stolen from us instead of the $12,000 we’d originally thought, but it’s over. Our income is back to normal, from being at HALF for the last few months. Our savings are gone, our credit accounts are almost maxed out, and we borrowed as much as we could from family and friends, but it’s over. Another month of it and there was a very real possibility that we would have lost the house, but it’s over. It will still take us a couple of months to "catch up", but . . .It's Over!

And it wasn’t nearly as bad as I would have thought it would be if I'd been told about it beforehand. We learned that money really is not what makes you happy. We grew even closer as we got creative about entertaining ourselves without spending money, not to mention as we shared the stress and the distress of the situation. We spent more time cooking together, which we love to do, and more time just talking. Our puppies benefited as we spent more time at home training or at the dog park playing. The cats saw more of us than usual as we stayed at home instead of going out.

All in all, I’d have to say it was at the very least a not totally bad experience, and taught us a lot. I wish we hadn’t had to spend $17,000 on the lesson, but I’m not sure we would have appreciated it as much if we hadn’t. So, if you ever read this, thank you, Courtney. You have reminded us just how much we love each other.

And may you reap everything you deserve from the stolen money.

No comments: